The Rhone Valley and Provence have some of the most beautiful vineyards in France. Vines cover the landscape as far as the eye can see in most places, punctuated by olive groves and lavender fields. You’ll find an incredibly rich variety of fascinating sites to discover while enjoying the full-bodied, expressive local wines and sun-drenched Provençale cuisine. But how to decide what experiences in Provence to include on your next trip? Here are 10 suggestions for experiences in Provence.
Top 10 Experiences in Provence:
• Discover the vineyards of Chateauneuf du Pape, Gigondas, Tavel, etc. and Quench your thirst for some of the best wines of the region
• Visit Roman ruins, including the amphitheater in Arles or Orange
• Experience The Camargue, one of Europe’s major wetland areas
• Take a stroll in Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Marseille (oldest city in France)
• Spend time in Avignon, home of the popes in the 14th century
• Take a hike at Mont Ventoux, called the “Giant of Provence”
• Revel at the Pont du Gard, the largest Roman aqueduct in Europe
• Explore beautiful villages of Gordes, Rousillon, and l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (especially for antiques)
• Marvel at the lavender fields in bloom in July
• Shop like a local at the weekly outdoor market of Uzes, St. Remy-de-Provence, or Vaison la Romaine
Sound impossible to combine all these activities while in Provence? No fear, we’ll recommend which ones suit you best when you plan a tour with French Wine Explorers!